Monday, June 9, 2014

Ramen Bar Suzuki @ Boat Quay

My first visit to Ramen Bar Suzuki, I left disappointed. The ramen there was highly raved by my gf... but I did not even get to try it =.= Apparently, the last order for the 1st half of the day is 2:30pm and we reached there slightly past the stipulated timing.

Well, I eventually had the chance to try out the ramen when I meet up with my gf some time back (on a laid back Saturday afternoon). 

Ramen Bar Suzuki
61 Circular Road #01-01

Mon-Thu: 11:00am - 3:00pm (last order 2:30pm), 6:00pm - 10:00pm (last order 9:30pm)
Fri: 11:00am - 3:00pm (last order 2:30pm), 6:00pm-10.30pm (last order 10:00pm);
Sat: 11.30am - 3:00pm (last order 2:30pm), 6:00pm - 10:00pm (last order 9:30pm)
Sun & PH: Closed
- Accepts cash only -

PS: A loyalty card will be given. With every 6 stamps, you will get a complimentary bowl of ramen! Good deal yea?

According to my gf, this place is very popular with the office crowd in Raffles Place. Queues are a common sight during weekdays as it sits about 30 pax. 

With every order of ramen, you get free flow of (hard-boiled) eggs, seasoned beansprouts (super yummy and addictive!), sesame (for that extra fragrant), garlic chips (hmm... not a fan), fried pork lard (ooo... I didn't see that!), steamed Japanese rice (available only during lunch time) and their ultimate potato salad (too delish!!!). Oh, and the chilled genmaicha (brown rice tea) is free flow too, very refreshing and thirst-quenching. 

Disclaimer: They are free until everything is gone xD

While waiting for our ramen, we were busy indulging in the free flow beansprouts and potato salad. The seasoned beansprouts have a delightful aromatic sesame taste with a spicy kick. Fresh and crunchy with every bite... I can't help but keep eating non-stop :x

I am totally in love with their potato salad! Uber tasty and very-very filling as there are chunky meat bits, eggs in it! I got full by just eating this... oops!

At Ramen Bar Suzuki, you get to customize your ramen by choosing the type of ramen:-

  • Pure White Tonkotsu Ramen (Standard) - S$12.90
  • Cardinal Red Tonkotsu Ramen (Spicy) - S$13.90
  • Jet Black Tonkotsu Ramen (Mild) - S$13.90
  • Emerald Green Tonkotsu Ramen (Cheese & Basil) - S$14.90
  • Sakura Pink Tonkotsu Ramen (Prawn-flavored) - S$14.90

You can also choose the noodle texture and taste, where I like mine normal... with less flavored oil coz I prefer mine to be not so oily. 

If you are extremely hungry, you may wish to add the Special Topping (extra chashu, flavored egg and seaweed) at an additional of S$3.00. We did, and regretted since we ate too much beansprouts and potato salad. My bad, I took too much :x

Mine was the Pure White Tonkotsu Ramen, the most popular dish which large quantity of Tonkotsu is used as the main ingredient and carefully simmered until perfection. 

Every bowl of ramen comes with the standard topping (black fungus, red ginger, spring onion) which you can opt out if you don't like 'em. See the dollop of orangey thingy at the side? That is their Special Home Made Sauce, which added a lil' spicy taste to my ramen broth. I quite like the taste. Just a third of that amount given suffices else the broth will get too salty.

As for my gf, she had the Jet Black Tonkotsu Ramen, which comes with their specialty broth with squid ink and pan-fried garlic. Topped with black miso and pork, it is an original recipe that can only be savored at Ramen Bar Suzuki. I tried the broth and it was much richer than mine. A tad salty for my liking though.

If you don't already know, Ramen Bar Suzuki's noodle is the authentic traditional Tonkotsu noodle in Japan. Their noodles are extra thin, the thinnest I've tried so far. As such, it is advisable to eat fast else they will turn soggy and of coz... less appetizing. 

I must say, the broth is really rich and flavorful without being too overwhelming. The slices of belly chashu are pretty tasty as the meat texture is just right, not too tough (at least to me). I would prefer it to have slightly more fats though. heh.

Hmm... I personally don't enjoy the flavored eggs here as the yolk ain't semi-runny (almost hard-boiled, as seen in the photo). That is indeed a huge letdown. I don't think I would order their flavored eggs in future.

Okay, that's all for now. Thank you for reading! Feel free to share your fave place for yummilicious ramen (: 

No comments:

Post a Comment