Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Advertorial: RevitaLens Ocutec Multi-Purpose Disinfecting Solution

In mid-March, Sophia emailed me with regards to Abbott Medical Optics launch of RevitaLens Ocutec Multi-Purpose Disinfecting Solution (a unique next-generation multi-purpose disinfecting solution for silicone hydrogel and conventional soft contact lenses in Singapore). A RevitaLens Kit was sent to me thereafter.

RevitaLens OcuTec™ MPDS delivers high-quality disinfection and comfort for the user, with the convenience of a single bottle. The solution was developed in cooperation with world class silicone hydrogel, microbiology and chemistry experts and with input from more than 600 eye care professionals.

Key characteristics of RevitaLens OcuTec™ Multi-purpose Disinfecting Solution include:

  • high effectiveness against a broad spectrum of ocular pathogens in the environment;
  • effectively kills hard-to-eliminate Acanthamoeba cysts and Fusarium;
  • significant removal of proteins from the lens surface;
  • low corneal staining;
  • minimizes risk of eye complications;
  • excellent compatibility and comfort for silicon hydrogel and conventional lens wearers.

 

RevitaLens OcuTec™ MPDS are available at leading optical and pharmacy outlets @ $13 for 300ml bottle, $6 for 120ml bottle.

FYI, this product has been approved by FDA and was launched in the US in October 2010. The product also has CE Mark approval in Europe and has been selling in Europe since September 2010.

It is estimated that there are more than 500,000 contact wearers in Singapore and about 200 cases of eye infection are diagnosed in every 100,000 contact lens wearers.

Experts agree that compliance with proper lens care and regular eye checks at least one a year by an eye care practitioner is critical to maintain good eye health for contact lens wearers.

While multi-purpose solutions (MPS) represent the majority of systems used for the care of soft contact lenses, it is important to adhere to the cleansing regimen with three simple steps.

The rub and rinse regimen with multi-purpose disinfecting solution effectively kills 90% of bacteria and fungi while disinfecting the lenses by soaking them helps to removes any residual microorganism.

1) Rubbing – Using a suitable multi-purpose disinfecting solution (MPDS) , place contact lens on the palm and rub both sides of the lens from the centre to the edges gently with your index finger.

2) Disinfecting – Soak your lenses in fresh disinfecting solution for at least 6 hours. Lens case should be cleaned after use and replaced every 1 – 3 months.

3) Rinsing – Rinse the lens with fresh disinfecting solution before wearing to refresh the lens surface and remove any traces of debris.

I've been using Solo Care Aqua All-in-One Solution for the longest time and it has served me well. As a daily contact lens user, I strongly believe the importance of using a suitable multi-purpose disinfecting solution (MPDS). So far, I've only had a really bad experience with a particular brand of MPDS.

And, here it is......

It was a seriously traumatizing experience for me. The moment I put on my lenses (disinfected with the solution), there was an immediate burning sensation.. and I began to tear profusely ;_; I thought that prolly this bottle was problematic? And, I proceeded to open another one. Yes, I bought a "Value Pack" which wasn't that value-for-$ afterall. In the end, both gave me the same results! FML :/ Waste my $ on these solutions and the contact lenses......

I was excited and kinda worried to try RevitaLens OcuTec MPDS.. Can't really blame me since I had bad experience before.. Of coz, my worries were clearly unfounded!

After using for a month plus, I'm done with the travel-sized one and the big bottle is left with only less than 1/3 solution! It delivers effective cleaning and disinfection for the lenses while maintaining all day comfort. I feel absolutely comfortable using this solution. Highly recommended if you're a regular contact lens user!

Do check out http://www.intelligentshopper.sg/ to win fantastic prizes such as Apple iPad, Panasonic Lumix LX5 and eye spa treatments!

Want to know your shopper profile?

Want to know if who will emerge as the smart shopper in the Men vs Women fightout?

Take the online test to find out!

6 comments:

  1. I've been using AO Sept for 7 years! It's the best brand for me.. But you do need to have spare contact lenses or be prepared to wear glasses out if u use this brand. Cos the lenses need to be soaked for at least 6 hours. Any shorter than that, u'll get that burning sensation. There are times when u think ure done for the day and soak in ur contacts, but end up having to go out (hence the spare lenses). The casing has some ingredients that react with the liquid to neutralize the solution after 6 hours. But it really deep cleans without the need for rubbing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. elizaheartsmakeupMay 20, 2011 at 9:57 PM

    I've been using AO Sept for like forever too! & I have experienced the burning sensation, when the lens doesn't soak for 6 hours, you can go crazy! :( It is a tad more troublesome but other than that I love it! It does the job well for me! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've soaked the lenses for more than 6 hours on both occasions, and both times, I experienced the nasty burning sensation. Sad to say, it's the worst brand for me. At least, they work fabulously for you ladies (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. elizaheartsmakeupMay 21, 2011 at 9:13 AM

    Oh yikes! :( So sad to hear that! :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. elizaheartsmakeupMay 21, 2011 at 9:13 AM

    At least you found something that works for you! :D

    ReplyDelete