Monday, September 19, 2011

A Tea Pairing Workshop with Stephen Twining

Curiosity always gets the better of me. That's why I attended this Tea Pairing Workshop with Stephen Twining (2 weeks ago), held @ Marina Bay Sands Hotel. Thanks Sebastian for bringing us along!

**NOTE: This is NOT an invite.**

You can't imagine how excited I was, having the opportunity to enter a Presidential Suite!

Guess who's the man seated right in front of me.. Shh.. It's a secret.. :x

How to Make the Perfect Cuppa?

  • Water temperature: 100°C for black teas (Let the boiling water sit for about 3mins to let the temperature dip a lil' for green/white teas.)
  • Amount of tea per serving: 2-3 tea bags for a tea pot (Depends on how strong you want the taste to be.)
  • Brewing time: 3-5 mins (Dipping a tea bag in and out is unnecessary. I used to be "guilty" of that.)

 

Tea pairing begins with the most popular Twinings Earl Grey Tea (a classic blend of fine black tea infused with citrusy flavor of bergamot). It is the only tea I'd tried from Twinings prior the workshop. Love the refreshing taste and unique floral aroma it has. One can add lemon slice/honey/milk/sugar according to own preference. I enjoy Earl Grey Tea as it is; au naturel.

How to pair? In short, stronger teas with stronger flavored food. Vice versa.

Served with:- Bacon & Chive Biscuit, Candied Violet Cup Cake, Turkey Breast & Sharp Cheddar Finger Sandwich, Opera Torte.

Next, we were served White Tea (an exclusive blend using only young, unopened buds of the finest tea plant). While Green Tea is well known for its many health benefits, White Tea is the least processed tea and has the highest antioxidant level. So yes, White Tea is definitely better and much more expensive.

This is my 1st time drinking white tea and I was pleasantly surprised by its slightly sweet taste. The brew was perfect; so light and delicate. I actually like the smooth feeling it gives. White Tea convert? :d~

Served with:- Mini Macaroons, Hazelnut & Milk Chocolate Torte, Maki Sushi Rolls, Char Siew Soh Rolls with Sweet Plum Dip.

Last but not least, the Twinings Mint Cooler. The conventional iced teas often taste diluted, but not this one! This one packs a punch! A tantalizing treat for my taste buds. It is advisable to add honey/sugar coz the taste is super sour! The mint taste is very strong which I really like. A very refreshing cooling sensation, perfect for the awfully hot weather!

Served with:- Mini Pistachio Financier, Mini Ginger-Crème Brulee.. (not pictured):- English Cucumber Teas Sandwich, Spinach Quiche

Bonne Maman Honey, the essential addition for a delightful sweet taste to my perfect cuppa Twinings Mint Cooler.

Companion of the day: Jermaine!

Love the light effect! :p *teehee*

Do you know that Twinings tea is now enjoyed in 115 countries globally, with nearly 250 blends to its name from contemporary fruit infusions and herbal teas to its most popular blends: English Breakfast and the world-famous Earl Grey?

Now you know (:

At Twinings, there is always a tea for everyone, and for every occasion.

A special commemorative blend for The Royal Wedding. I wonder if it's for sale? Hmm..

Such an attractive tea pot set.. 

Unobstructed view of the city.

I'm sure the view will be exceptionally stunning in the night time!

Meet Stephen Twining (10th generation of the famous tea family), who reportedly drinks at least 15 cups of tea a day. Thanks for the very insightful sharing!

(Credits to Jermaine's camera)

Yingzi, Jermaine & me.

(Credits to Jermaine's camera)

Ending with a beautiful note.. 

 

A beautiful tea box set, autographed by Stephen Twining himself.

And, only the 3 of us had our names written on (date as well).. Talk about exclusivity.. Yeah! v^.^v

Thanks Yingzi!

With that, I shall go enjoy my freshly brewed cuppa Earl Grey.. (:

7 comments:

  1. I remember this place!!! Cos of the blue droplets celing display! lolx

    Beside twining... I also love Dilmah ceylon teas!(Yum Yum)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spot Twinings's Darjeeling tea. /my favorite tea of all times.
    Darjeeling tea makes a good after-meals tea because it's quite light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chantana, those blue droplets so beautiful! For Dilmah, I tried only Earl Grey.. not bad.. Ceylon tea I never try before.. How it taste like?

    Raggie92, Darjeeling sounds good to try.. Sidetrack a bit, I don't like Camomile at all.. Hope it doesn't taste similar..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chamomile is a floral tea, and taste different from Darjeeling. Darjeeling is quite similar to Earl Grey, just less strong as Earl Grey since Earl Grey tends to have an aftertaste.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must try that after finishing my Earl Grey. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Almost similar but more rich in tea taste. (I donno how to explain- kekeke
    )

    ReplyDelete
  7. You pass me try? hehehee..

    ReplyDelete