Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Food Tasting Session @ 东方餐馆 The Eastern Restaurant

Attended a food tasting session @ 东方餐馆 The Eastern Restaurant last week. Thanks Dennis for including me (though I'm no food blogger.. >.<~~)!

**NOTE: This is NOT an invite.**

**Credits to The Eastern Restaurant FB Page**

Located at a rather neglected part of The Centrepoint, it is no mean feat that The Eastern Restaurant has been around for 10 years & counting. The quality of food served at The Eastern Restaurant, are definitely on par with the Chinese restaurants I've frequented so far. And, you will be delighted to know that all their dishes are priced affordably.

Say "hi" to my new food haunt (for authentic Chinese cuisine) in town! (:

**Credits to The Eastern Restaurant FB Page**

The bloggers in attendance.

Their specialities:- 上海拉面 Shanghai La Mian & 小笼包 Xiao Long Bao

An open-concept kitchen, where we got to see the chef in action! See how fast and skilful he is! That certainly comes with experience.

From an ordinary-looking dough, it is being folded+twisted+flipped+stretched into countless noodle strands. Each of us ordered a bowl of la mian, according to own preference.

I had 清汤牛腩面 Stewed Beef Brisket Noodle Soup

The clear soup base was richly flavored without being oily/salty, while I thought that the beef could be more tender. That would be perfect!

Oh, I forgot to mention that these are actually collagen-enriched la mian! Good for skin yea 

LOVE the noodles; the BEST-EST I've ever tried! No joke. Ahh.. The springy al dente texture, which I savored every bit.. *pure bliss*

干扁四季豆 Sauteed Green Bean with Minced Pork

One of my personal favorites. Stir-fried to perfection. Looks like any other ordinary veggie dish BUT taste exceptionally good! The green beans were really fresh; sweet & crunchy with each bite. Yummilicious max!

红油抄手 Wanton with Hot Chilli Sauce

Another favorite. Soft & tender wanton skin with juicy meat fillings, PLUS the spicy kick without the overly oily feel! 

绍兴醉鸡 Chicken Marinated with Shaoshing Wine

FYI, it's served cold. I could taste the subtle aromatic taste of the Shaoshing Wine (glad it's not over-whelming). The chicken meat tasted much tender than expected. I would love the dish much much more if they served drumstick/thigh meat. My personal preference.

东方一品小笼包 Eastern Yi Ping Steamed Pork Dumpling (aka Xiao Long Bao)

Yes, they tasted really good. One of the better ones I've tried so far.

Best eaten with vinegar & shredded ginger. Hmm.. Could do better with more of the soupy goodness?

The not-very-photogenic new dish.

Homemade Pork Ribs (I think..)

The sauce was a lil' sweet for my liking. It's just me. The meat was super tender, melts-in-the-mouth kind ya know. Love the meat, not the sauce.

Okay, here's an interesting new dish which tasted pretty good. My 1st time eating this.. :d~

山药 Shan Yao (also known as Chinese Yam). It has medical benefits and is used as a tonic. Good for health!

The taste is naturally sweet. Has a nice soft yet firm texture. And.. Goes really well with the sauce. Tasty much!

芙蓉赛螃蟹 Furong Special Scramble Egg

Another favorite of mine.

The waitress added vinegar & pepper, then mix the raw egg yolk into the scramble egg to give the dish a unique smooth taste. Insanely delish!

Fried chicken, which tasted super-duper-normal. It would be good if they have sauce to go with it. At least won't taste so bland?

上海生煎包 Shanghai Pan-fried Pork Bun

A lil' oily on the outside.

I've tasted much better ones. The meat filling is not juicy enough. Nuff' said.

流沙包 Custard Bun

I've extremely high hopes for this. Whenever I've dim sum, I'll definitely order this.

Somewhat disappointed. Though the custard sauce had a right mix of sweetness and saltiness, but the filling was too little.. :(

Overall, it was a pleasurable dining experience. Will be coming back for more definitely!

Thanks Dennis & 东方餐馆 The Eastern Restaurant for the warm hospitality! (:

Recommended Dishes (My Say):

  • 拉面 La Mian
  • 干扁四季豆 Sauteed Green Bean with Minced Pork
  • 红油抄手 Wanton with Hot Chilli Sauce
  • 芙蓉赛螃蟹 Furong Special Scramble Egg
  • 东方一品小笼包 Eastern Yi Ping Steamed Pork Dumpling (aka Xiao Long Bao)
  • 山药 Shan Yao

 

Current Promo/Discount

The Eastern Restaurant links:

5 comments:

  1. i am droolingggg.... *disappears to find food*

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 小笼包 look nice (Is it better then Ding Tai Feng one... cos the one I tried at People park food centre is way better then DTF)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catherine, lol!

    Chantana, the DTF one skin very thick. I don't like. I like the Imperial Treasure one, super nice! The Eastern Restaurant not much soup but still tasty though. Next time bring me try PP food centre one leh.. hehehee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm.. I only remember that DTF the meat not as soft and the soup is not bad... but PP food center one.. the soup is really nice and the meat so soft that it kinda melt in the mouth!(that's what I remember la)...

    ReplyDelete
  5. WAAA! Sounds sooo mouth-watering! Can't wait to try that on thur.. Yeah!

    ReplyDelete