Sunday, December 4, 2011

Homely Lunch @ 海外天 Oversea Restaurant

Lunch-ed at 海外天 Oversea Restaurant (again!); the same day I attended Tom's Palette's Ice Cream Making Workshop.

This time, we tasted a total of 14 dishes(!!) + 1 specialty signature dish. These dishes were like home-cooked food, which I really missed having. The portion was not as big as compared to the previous time though. We managed to finish everything effortlessly (lol). Well, the food was really good! That goes without saying!

We were led to the same VIP room (different table).

 

凉瓜炒爽肉 Wok Fried Crispy Sliced Pork with Bitter Gourd ($9.80)

Pork neck meat is used in this dish, which well explains the tenderness and flavorful taste.

I don't exactly fancy the taste of bitter gourd in general. However, I find that the bitterness is acceptable and adds a lovely crunchy texture to the dish.

 

伊班茄子 Braised Egg Plant with Diced Prawn ($9.80)

l love anything brinjal (egg plant), especially claypot ones (think 鱼香茄子). The aromatic taste of diced prawn complements the brinjal very well.

I like that the brinjal is firm and fresh; has a nice sweet chewy taste. Overripe ones tend to taste bitter and spongy *yucks*

 

We had rice to go along with the dishes.

Hmm... a lil' dry for my liking...


辣子鱼滑 Fried Chilli Fish Paste Roll ($9.80)

The chilli sauce for this dish is home-made; the taste is similar to that of chilli crab.

The fish paste roll has the right QQ texture, reminds me of fishballs! Simple yet tasty :d~

 

鱼汤让四宝 Yong Tau Foo in Superior Fish Broth ($10.80)

The deep fried beancurd skin stuffed with minced fish meat (I think) can be eaten alone or dipped in the superior fish broth. I prefer the latter.

The soup base is rich and taste sooo good! The yong tau foo were cooked just right, somewhat different from the usual fare. Yummy! *SLURPS*

 

菠萝云吞 Sweet & Sour Wok Fried 'Wan-tan' with Pineapple ($12.80)

A simple colorful dish. The 'wan-tan' skin is crispy. Taste ordinarily good.

 

百草西柚霹雳球 Crispy Fish Fillet with Lemon Grass & Grapefruit ($12.80)

The sauce is the key, in my opinion. Kinda like thai-style; sweet & sour. I LIKE!

 

咸鱼蒸鸡腿 Steamed Chicken with Salted Fish ($12.80)

This dish gives me a super homely feel.

I love chicken thigh meat; so tender! I love salted fish; so salty (lol)! Perfect combi :D

 

瓦煲番茄蛋 Tomato & Egg in Claypot ($12.80)

l love anything eggs. I love tomatoes as well.

BUT... I don't really like this dish.

The egg omelette is not as soft as I like. The tomatoes are very fresh though.

 

原粒面酱豆根薯仔煲 Bean Tendon & Potato in Claypot ($9.80)

Another super homely feel dish.

The gravy goes really well with rice. Both the bean tendon and potatoes were cooked to perfection; soft and yummilicious!

 

肉碎桂豆苗 Stir Fried String Bean with Minced Meat ($12.80)

Baby long beans are used - fresh and crunchy taste.

Slightly spicy. The minced meat enhances the overall taste of the dish.

 

肉丸豆腐煲 Braised Beancurd with Meat Ball in Claypot ($12.80)

Favorite dish-of-the-day! A must-order!

The meatballs are incredibly tasty, which absorbs the full flavor of the gravy!

The braised beancurd is amazingly silky smooth... melts in the mouth kind... *drool*

 

油浸脆草莞鱼 Deep Fried Grass Carp ($12.80)

I would have like this dish if there's more gravy. The fish taste fresh but rather bland without the gravy.

 

珍珠雷沙汤丸 Sesame Dumpling ($12.00)

Glutinous rice balls, served dry. No soup.

Peanut bits and sugar, sprinkled all over 'em. When light reflects on 'em, they look so "shimmery".

Soft & chewy texture. The sweetness is just right :D

 

The additional dishes!

The manager recommended this super yummy dish to us. Another favorite dish-of-the-day!

Stewed soft bone pork with carrots.

Everything can be eaten, including the soft bones! The meat is not as soft as I would like. Tasty nevertheless.

I actually prefer the carrots to meat! Super soft and taste oh-so-good (with the full flavor of gravy).

 

海外天叉烧 Oversea Special Char Siew ($30 for medium serving)

I can never forget the cameralized sweet savory taste, that is uniquely Oversea Restaurant.

It leaves me wanting for moreee! I should be able to finish one plate of this on my own (lol)!

For a table of 10, the total bill came up to be only $202.85 (exclusive of the additional dishes). Pretty reasonable I would say.

Thanks Elfaine (TSS) & 海外天 Oversea Restaurant for the wonderful homely lunch! 

2 comments:

  1. wowww that's a whole lot of dishes!! (: yumyum

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes-yes but in small portions though >.<

    ReplyDelete