Thursday, December 1, 2011

Tom's Palette - Ice Cream Making Workshop

It was my 1st time making ice cream from scratch! And, I gave my "1st time" to... Tom's Palette :D~ Thanks Elfaine (TSS) for the invite!

Do you know... Tom's Palette homemade ice cream parlour has been serving ice cream since September 2005? AND, they've been creating ONE NEW FLAVOR every month!

Shhh... Ice Cream Making Workshop in progress...

Btw, Tom's Palette is located at #01-25 Shaw Leisure Gallery if you don't already know :D

They've many flavors to choose from...

Some exotic ones like SALTED EGG YOLK (what!?!? I must say it taste really good, I like!), Salty Yuzu (a Japanese citrus fruit, taste not bad!), Chocolate STOUT (They use ABC Stout... ahems... I'm not really a fan of stouts...), Lavender (I seriously HATE the taste! Feels like I'm eating "air purifier"... My face literally turned "purple" :/), Camomile (I HATE anything Camomile! Period.).

Anyway, I tasted ALL flavors. My favorites are:- Lychee n Rose, Salted Caramel Cheesecake, Salty Yuzu, Apple Pie, Granny's Favorite, Summer Berries and of coz SALTED EGG YOLK!

Their traditional homemade ice cream is made from scratch using ingredients like eggs, milk, cream & sugar.

There's a "live" demo, before we started making ours.

 

Horlicks flavor ice cream is what we were going to make. The only Horlicks ice cream I had prior the workshop was McDonald's... Well, totally different taste I would say.

Ingredients for one cup of ice cream:

  • 1 x egg yolk
  • 1 tbsp of sugar
  • ½ cup of milk
  • 3-4 tbsp of Horlicks
  • ½ cup of cream

 

THE RECIPE

Using only the egg yolk, add 1 tbsp of sugar to it and mix well.

Add ½ cup of milk into pot.

Stir while heating up the milk.

Remember to use low heat, don't let it boil!

Then, add 3-4 generous tbsp of Horlicks into the heated milk.

***Thanks Tiphanie for helping me with the photo-taking (:***

Pour the Horlicks + milk mixture into the egg yolk + sugar mixture, while stirring simultaneously.

***Thanks Jacelyn for helping me to stir (:***

Continue to use low heat and stir. If not, you'll get scrambled eggs instead! :x

Cook all these ingredients until it becomes a thick and rich sauce.

Add ½ cup of cream and combine evenly.

Freeze and churn by hand!

Easy peasy?

 

Well, I did the last step wrongly (by cooking the cream as well =.=") and ended up with a really small cup of super-duper-sweet Horlicks ice cream.

Can you guess which is mine? =.="

*SOB SOB*

Anyway, do give the ice cream making a shot. If you don't like Horlicks, you can always try Milo??

For more info, do visit Tom's Palette website.

12 comments:

  1. This sound easy, I think I can try make it since, I got both the milk and cream at home now (I used the same brand- my fave) lolx

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya not so difficult after all.. i wanna try making milo ice cream! ^^ BUT.. I gotta go buy milk & cream =.=zzz

    ReplyDelete
  3. waaaa! really can make ice cream by hand!? i always thought we would need the ice cream maker machine.. haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUPS! much easier than i thought.. try make your favorite flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't get the freeze part! How to freeze it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOWW!!! :D I've always wanted to go for an ice cream making workshop! Seems like lots of fun! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. maeeraODayy, put in freezer for few hrs or overnight (:

    ReplyDelete
  8. tilltheendd, I think they've workshops you can register and attend.. pretty
    interesting :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha I've spotted one at Udders ice cream and seems really fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I heard from another blogger that the Udders ice cream making is different from that of Tom's Palette!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooo I see! Haha it's all ice cream so it doesn't matter to me :D

    ReplyDelete